Re: [TCML] If He Starts Nodding Off, Try Another Million Volts - Vasodilation

On 10/8/12 11:56 AM, David Thomson wrote:
You guys need to be careful about prolonged exposure to Tesla coils.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16875980

That paper is about *ultrasound*, not RF or electromagnetic fields.

And at a fairly high exposure: >1 Watt/cm2 (for comparison, a typical RF exposure limit is a few milliwatts/cm2)

At that sort of power density, one would want to look for thermal effects, since you could definitely feel that flux. (to compare, sunlight is about 0.1 Watt/cm2...) With that level of power deposition, vasodilation as a response to tissue heating is probably not unexpected.

(just going from the abstract.. I haven't read the full paper)

Tesla coils (and particularly plasma globes) operate in a frequency range
that causes the arteries to dilate.

I don't think so.  At least not on the paper you cite.

Consider, for instance that just about every switching power supply in the world these days operates between 25-100kHz and has some radiated E or H field.

 If you feel pronounced improvement in
your overall well being during the operation of a coil, then that may not
be such a good thing.  It may be that your arteries are partially clogged
and blood flow is temporarily improving.

Prolonged exposure to 29 kHz E field radiation, such as having a plasma
globe in constant operation, will cause vasodilation and improve your
circulation, but when you leave the 29 kHz E field the arteries will
contract to their normal state.  In advanced atherosclerosis, this could
cause panic attacks about 30 minutes after the field is turned off.

Before making such a claim, I'd like to see some published studies. I'm pretty familiar with most of the literature about EM exposure and RF safety (ANSI IEEE C95.1-2005 has a very complete list, and dozens of pages summarizing that literature), and I don't recall seeing anything. Since C95.1 is available to be downloaded free

http://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/C95.1-2005.html

I don't have C95.1 memorized, so maybe I've overlooked something. Perhaps you could find something in there to backup your assertion of vasodilation (from other than thermal effects, since a fairly simple calculation shows that the power absorption from the fields from a tesla coil or plasma globe is quite low)

If it's not in there, (maybe more recent research than early 2000s?) please provide a citation.