From: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 11:09:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Need info help Model M-150 Tesla Coil from late D.C. Cox.

Hey,

I am not familiar with DC's coils personally,
But i ran your numbers through Java TC and from what you have given us, the coil apparently tunes ar 3.5 turns on the secondary or in that area. according to the data you have given. But pre my below querys, i am not sure if the 3.5 is right.
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html
When i tune my coils i set up a break out point on the toroid (hunk of wire sticking out the side) and a large vertical peice of Al foil some distance away. start with it close, and run the coil on low power, so you see little sparks?
if you do you can be reasonably sure that you have everything wired right.
Then just move the tuning point around until those sparks look the best, while it is off of course .
increase the power move the foil and do this again. You should have gotten it pretty close on the lower power, but when the arcs are large, it changes it slightly, so just mess with this tap point until you get the best looking sparks.
Then remove the break out point, repeat, It should be pretty set at this point though.
At full power you should get good sparks without the break out point.

You are saying that the inner turn of the primary is inside the secondary, 17" dia vs 11.5" dia
Which I am thinking is unlikely as I have never heard of a coil being that way.
So i am thinking you might have mistyped something there which would make a difference in the capculations. .

I also noticed that you specify a 40" secondary with 4+1=5" inches being uncovered. but you specify the winding as 35.5".

The capacitor is probably a compact array of C DE 942C20P15K's as if I recall DC liked to use those.
But it also could just be a maxwell inside a box to make it look nicer and protect people in case it were to ever explode.

best of luck,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."