[TCML] triggered gap (for musical coils)

Carl wrote:

All this is to say that such a gap would probably make a good triggered gap for a musical TC with the addition of a triggering plane. A standard Maxwell triggered gap would work well too, blowing the air in one side, through the hole in the trigger plane, and out the other side. You would have to make some mechanism for adjusting the electrode spacing from the triggering plane, such as screw threads.

One of these Maxwell gaps can be seen on the Tesla Coil Builders of Fort Worth site,

    http://www.capturedlightning.org/hot-streamer/ross/TCBFW/TCBFW.htm

---

that's what's called a midplane knife edge triggered gap.. the problem with that one is that it probably can't do a high rep rate, because there's not much of a cooling path. Normally, you run those at higher than atmospheric pressure, sometimes in SF6. It's a very low inductance design intended for use in a Marx bank, and by running it at high pressure, the resistance of the spark is reduced (it's physically shorter).

I've done a triggered gap with a point electrode in the center of a hollow end electrode (similar in design to a Marx blast gap). The cooling air blows along side the electrode so it keeps it cool. I used an auto ignition coil to fire it, so there was plenty of voltage margin.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/blastgap.htm

I used two copper pipe caps as the electrodes and pressurized the inside of them so the flow was radial out, as opposed to radial in.