Re: [TCML] on rotary gaps and tone wheels

On 10/23/12 7:52 PM, Bart B. Anderson wrote:
On 10/23/2012 2:16 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 10/23/12 12:27 PM, drieben wrote:
As far as that goes, how in the world could you capo a
tambourine? Sounds like the folk music store was stringing
your friend along to me. And it also seems to me that it
would be easier to just go with a SSTC with electronic
modulation than to try to build the nightmare of a me-
chanically driven musical SGTC.

SGTCs have higher peak powers and lower electronic complexity (yes, a
mechanical setup to get from keyboard to multiple rotary gaps would be
quite complex, but, hey, no worse than a piano or harpsichord)

David, your right. This is all kind of silly. It's like "can we make a
square wheel roll". Well yes if you design the road for it.

But Tesla Coils are essentially art. It's not like they have some practical industrial use, so it's all in the appearance, else why would people be interested in winding different shape and size coils, or use static vs rotary vs solid state gaps, etc.

But really,
what's the point. If you want to do audio on a coil, just build an SSTC
and if you want powerful long sparks and music also, do a DRSSTC. This
thread is kind of silly.
BTW, SGTC's have higher peak powers? Where did you learn that?

In days of yore (say, 10 years ago).. the peak power in a SG TC (say, discharging several tens of joules at 30kV) was higher than you'd get in a SSTC (because the pass devices can't take the peak current).

Consider a primary with a 0.035 uF cap charged to 30kV discharging into a 80 uH primary (fres around 95-100 kHz).. The peak current is about 630 A. back when, this would be a challenge to handle with FETs (or a vacuum tube). I suppose today, one can get IGBTs that can handle that sort of peak current.

Bart