Re: [TCML] Pig Ballasting...

I did what you are suggesting, only I used 500' of 10GA.   I made a spool out of 2" PVC with some flat polycarbonate scraps glued on the ends (but not blocking the interior hole of the PVC) to hold on the wire.   The spool is about 18" long. Took quite a bit of muscle to wind.

I experimented with different configurations for the core.  I had a couple 8' rods of aluminum and steel that I cut up into 2" sections.  Generally speaking the forces want to pull the rods into the core, not visa versa.  If you do the math you see it doesn't matter which way the current is flowing in the solenoid, so it doesn't matter that it's AC, then, either.

The real issue you face is heating of the core materials.  My pig is only rated at 5KVA so I rarely pushed it above 10.  And in any case at 6kVA I was getting ground strikes so I didn't feel the need for much more.  I was measuring the input V and I to the variac, as well as the output, and shoving things into and out of the ballast core to get reasonable levels.   But those interior rods got really hot, probably because I just threw them in there, but also probably because the eddies in some of the materials were severe.

And the core would stay hot for a long time.  I never melted through the PVC, but I was close.   I'm not sure the best way to cool it down as I switched to DR coils and didn't experiment much more with that.

Cheers,
Joe