Re: [TCML] Spark models, revisited

Hi,

I made the tests, mentioned in my posting below. The capacitance, added by attaching a thin wire (0.4mm) to the topload, works out to around 6pF/m, resp. 1.8pF/foot. That's in fair agreement with Udo's calculation from the wikipedia formulas, and with Terry Fritz's 1.5 pF/foot, of his proven simple leader model ...but in not so good agreement with Antonio's elegant calculation (11pF/m). Perhaps the 1uH/m inductance of the transmissionline in the model could be a bit different? From the experiments, the Fres detuning of the secondary system, by adding a thin wire, is quite remarkable. I "think", only the low overall Q of a sparking TC (~10), is making it feasible, to tune to zero detuning, and observing acceptable sparks anyway. Primary detuning to lower Fres seems indicated, indeed, while not possible excessively, in order not to hinder breakout. - Well: thin wires are not yet real sparks!

Following, the original results of my tests. Hope the tables appear not scrambled. They are written with Font "calibri 12", and copied from my Excel, which I can mail you, if desired (including 2 graphs). Pic's of the experiment setup also exsist.

Regards, Kurt

Here the results:

Thin Wire model of Leader capacitance Experiments
of Oct. 27th/28th 2012

Instruments used:
1.) LCR Meter ELC-131D von ESCORT Instruments Ltd. (Taiwan)
2.) Siemens W2087 Pegelsender 200Hz-1620kHz, with 6-Digit f-counter
3.) Hewlett Packard HP5216A 7-Digit f-counter
4.) Tektronix TDS 2024B Oscilloscope / 200 MHz
5.) Low Z Amp with LM12 Power-OpAmp, max. ~500kHz, after Terry Fritz

TC used for Tests: UBTT
for details:    http://home.datacomm.ch/m.schraner/UBTT-Betrieb.pdf

 Coil-Inductance                 Wire used in Experiment:
 Ldc=66.6[mH]                    Magnetwire 0.4mm Diameter
double insulated (Thermex, Isola)

Symbols:
Ldc = Inductance of secondary coil
Fres = Resonant frequency of secondary system, including wire / measured
Lwire = Length of magnetwire attached to topload /measured
Csec = Capacitance, needed for Fres, Csec = 10e9*[1/(2*Pi*Fres)^2/Ldc]
dC/dLwire = deltaCsec/deltaLwire --- Capacitance per meter of wire

Test 1: Bare Secondary Coil,  without Toroid

Fres        Lwire     Csec     dC/dLwire
[kHz]        [m]     [pF] calc.  [pF/m]
194.625    0         10.041    -
171.335    0.657  12.956    4.437
132.29      2.13    21.733    5.958
118.1        3.02    27.269    6.220
100.302    4.36    37.805    7.863

Test 2: Secondary Coil,  with 50 cm / 12.5 cm Toroid

Fres        Lwire     Csec     dC/dLwire    Remarks
[kHz]        [m]     [pF] calc.  [pF/m]
122.039    0          25.537      -              coil with toroid only
121.91      0          25.591      -              coil with toroid  +
brakeout point
116.753    0.657   27.902   3.517                "
101.784    2.13    36.712    5.981                "
95.052      3.03    42.096    5.983                "
85.021      4.56    52.615    6.875                "

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Kurt Schraner