Re: Success Re[TCML] Measuring secondary current

I think part of the problem is trying to mix DC theory with steady-state AC theory and applying it to narrow pulsed RF phenomena. Reactance isn't resistance (eg no heat generated by reactance). 1MW at a 0.01% duty cycle is only 100W continuous power etc.etc. For example, a couple of millinia back when I was in H.S. we were able to get 1KW peak pulses from an old 6L6 tube by making the pulses narrow enough that the heat dissipation was less than 10W.

Matt D

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Hahn <andreas.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 9:05 pm
Subject: Re: Success Re[TCML] Measuring secondary current

Fascinating, thanks! This goes a long way towards explaining why this
thing behaves the way it does... I'm somewhat surprised there isn't much
more heat dissipated by the secondary, though. Those 440uJ have to get
dissipated at some point, and the resistive dissipation (JavaTC gives
53 ohms for the secondary DC resistance, which I should check when I next
get a chance) ought to be significant  (V^2 / R = very high).

Come to think of it, that can't possibly be right. V^2 / R = 8300V^2 * 53
ohms = 1.3MW of dissipation in the secondary...