Re: [TCML] How do they ballast BIG coils?

I can't say for sure and I lack the time to read all the
info again right now, but I assumed they slotted the core of the variacs,
thats at least what I would do, however you have to provide some
supports that keep the laminations in place while and after cutting,
otherwise you would end up with some serious "boink" I guess....

Without an airgap it can not work IMHO

A large saturable reactor could be another approach....

I did not know about the ward Leonard thingy, but supports personal
impression of those early days, the had less and menaged quite a lot... ;-)

best regards

Christoph Bohr