Re: [TCML] How do they ballast BIG coils?

Stefan,

A slot in the core is cut creating an air gap. Pull the winding out, remove the front panel where there is only core and no windings. I used a gravity fed bandsaw for this and just let it cut through. Then epoxied some plastic strips in the gap. The gap itself was about 1/16" or whatever the bandsaw blade thickness was. Then assemble the core back to normal. The inductor is used then as a single slide choke, thus using just the tap lead and one end of the winding, connect it in series with the LV to the supply.

Take care,
Bart