Re: [TCML] Good Afternoon everyone! A brief intro and a 50Hz question...

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012, tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have a few "violet wand" type devices around the house; I presume these
are actually very small tesla coils?

I looked into this a while back and it seems they're modified Tesla coils powered by Wagner's hammer type mechanical oscillators.

I'm aware that the big Tesla coils are
actually dangerous, unlike the violet wands.

The key with the violet wand seems to be the glass attachments - passing the spark through the gas limits the current/power to a low enough level that it doesn't cause burns. If you've tried a violet wand using a solid metal attachment and not had any burns, do say so as that would indicate my research is wrong...