From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Good Afternoon everyone! A brief intro and a 50Hz question...

On 9/16/12 1:42 PM, tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was directed to this list by Terry Leonard, who I met at Burning Man.
> Although I missed the show, Terry was kind enough to show me all the
> equipment he had been using. So if you're listening Terry, thanks very much,
> you're a star!

And welcome to the list...

> I've a background in building things, and have worked with microwave systems
> and computer systems in the past. Currently I am based in the UK.
>
> I have a few "violet wand" type devices around the house; I presume these
> are actually very small tesla coils?

Maybe... there's a list member who has a whole museum of electrotherapy devices.. while it's off topic for the list, I'm sure he's got tons of info.

> I might build a Tesla coil in the new year;

An exceedingly commendable activity.

in fact, it might be an
> interesting challenge to take all the BITS to Burning Man next August and
> try to build it from scratch.

Not even a challenge (unless you're building a big 'un).  The not entirely impressive tesla coil on my website was built in 4 hours or so, because someone asked me a question along the lines of "how hard is it to build a tesla coil"..

Now.. building a TC that can do multi-foot sparks, without just throwing power at it, is a challenge.

I'm aware that the big Tesla coils are
> actually dangerous, unlike the violet wands.

Even small TCs can be dangerous.  Grab the wrong wire at the wrong time, and you're a dead man.

> Now I have one question regarding the difference between the UK and US power
> supplies.
>
> Getting a 110v AC supply is not a problem (building site transformers for
> safety are cheaply available up to several kva), but it's 50Hz and not 60Hz.
> Will 50Hz into a NST cause the core to saturate, and if so, can I correctly
> compensate for this by just dropping the input voltage a bit using a variac?
> Is there a way to calculate by how much I should drop the input voltage?

You have neon signs in the UK (and in Europe).. And NSTs of local origin will run at 50 Hz..

BUT.. the traditional theory says that voltage scales with frequency:  a transformer designed for 60 Hz at, say, 120V will work just fine at 50 Hz at 100V.  (you see 400Hz variacs for instance...)

Bear in mind, though, that NSTs are a cost sensitive device and they don't spend any more on iron or copper than they absolutely need to. Even at 60 Hz, most NSTs are sort of on the ragged edge...

So, the answer is, in time honored HV experimenter tradition, "try it and see"..

You're not going to cause catastrophic effects by a 10-20% change...

Have fun,
Jim