From: "Christian Hill" <monolegal@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 11:48:54 PM
Subject: [TCML] Toroid

Hello. I completed and ran my first Tesla coil this weekend. Putting it
together and having it work was a very satisfying experience. I am
not extraordinarily happy with the results, however. It is powered by three
12kV NST's in parallel for 1.1kw of power. The coil form diameter is 4.5"
and the winding height is 22.5". It is currently throwing several(4-7)
small to medium size arcs. (8"-24"). A breakout point helps, but I still
think it's under performing.

My question is, how can I get a single larger arc? I've seen several 1kw
coils outperform my 1.1kw coil. I spent much time on and carefully planned
almost (read on) every piece of this coil. I have a simple adjustable
static spark gap. I have a very close to LTR capacitor array (off by about
1.1nf) and the coil is as tuned as it is going to get. The RF ground is
good as well, I pounded an 8' grounding rod into the earth.

The topload is where I think I screwed up. Not only is it rather small for
my coil (4" ring, 16" total), it is rather poorly made. By poorly made I
mean there are many ridges in the foil tape that is wrapped around the
dryer duct. To get a single larger spark should I construct a larger
topload? Or should I attempt to smooth out the edges in the foil tape? What
size toroid would you recommend? I am considering a 4" ring x 20-22" total.
Thank you for your help.