Re: [TCML] Re: Toroid

Aluminum dryer duct definitely comes in 6" diameter, or it used to anyway.
Home depot used to sell it around here.  I haven't looked lately.

The shop vac was probably blowing too much air across the gap and
interfering with the firing of the gap.  Changes in quenching have little or
no effect on tuning except as the sparks get longer you may have to
tap the primary outward (more turns) to account for spark loading tuning
effects.

Do you have a photo of the spark gap posted somewhere?  Spark gaps
can be very cantankerous at times.  Spark gaps are very affected by
the number of series spark gaps for a giving voltage or input power,
and the shape of the gaps (flat, rounded, pointed, wide, narrow, etc).
The more power you put through a static spark gap, the more
critical the gap design becomes to ensure adequate quenching.

Did you run your design through JavaTC to verify that you have
enough coupling between primary and secondary?  If the coupling
is too loose, you'll lose spark length.  Do you have the overall
specifications listed somewhere for this coil?  You may have
posted this in the past... I forget or missed it.  Also if the
capacitor is rather small, well in the STR range, this will reduce
the output too.  Do you have a video of the coil running so we can
hear the sound?  Apologies again if you've already posted this.

Cheers,
John