RE: [TCML] Self adjusting phase controller

The 'sweet spot' is not necessarily at the AC peak, and will vary as you put
more power in because of spark advance: the approaching flying electrode
jumping to the stationary one (this assumes you use a fixed ballast and a
variac for power control giving increasing voltage)
The sound is very noticeable at 200bps and is what I tune by. Just either
side of the best sound, performance is not noticeably much different (on
mine anyway @ 200bps) but the two even cap discharges every positive or
negative swing of the mains, is what gives the distintive sound and probably
the caps an easier life (even voltages on all the firings)
John's tuning method at 100bps didn't have much difference in sound on mine,
but was more evident in performance, (and the safety gap) and I suspect (but
no practical experience) that 300bps would have a pronounced sound at the
sweet spot as well, although you can't get all the cap discharges at the
same voltage on 300bps (as you can on 200bps) so it may sound a bit ragged.

Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com