Re: [TCML] Rotary Spark Gap and Safety Gap Behaving Weirdly [VIDEO]

Hi Brandon,

I'm not sure that I have a clear picture of the circuit configuration.  Is
it that you have only the RSG across the output of the Terry filter, with
the cap & primary disconnected?  I'm thinking so, because if the L/C were
hooked up, the arcing in the RSG would be much brighter, especially without
a dummy load.

Assuming my assumption is correct, I don't have a solid theory for why the
presence of the RSG causes the safety gap to fire.  The Terry filter
presents a small degree of capacitive loading to the NST and that may
result in some resonant rise.  Perhaps the gap firing results in there
being a longer interval to charge the capacitance...  Starting to talk
through my hat here, I'd have to run it through a simulator to see if that
holds water.

If you're running the RSG without the L-C circuit to get a handle on where
the sweet-spot of the SRSG is, be advised that adding the tank cap will
change everything.  The final sweet-spot will be dependent upon the variac
setting and tank capacitance.  I cannot strongly enough endorse the use of
the John Freau phase controller for controlling the SRSG phase.  IMHO, the
RSG phase is always something one should diddle in real time.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA