Re: [TCML] Re: Halfwave rectified Tesla coil and spark growth.

Peter wrote:

With sparks across the diode (not across the capacitor) I should be converting eg 50kV AC peak to a half wave 100kV DC (unsmoothed). The cap charges to 50kV DC smoothed. The half wave frequency is the same as AC. I get sparks of around 3 inches which is not bad considering the length of the diodes and cap is around 1 foot each have serious corona losses.

What are the implications for spark growth with half wave DC?
Has anyone else rectified a TC?

DC arcs are much shorter than RF arcs, so I'd expect sparks across the caps to
be much shorter.
Not much is known for RF arcs with DC offset as across the diodes. It would be
interesting to know, if it depends on the polarity of your diodes. Arc growth depends
on the polarity of the voltage.

Steve Ward once suggested an experiment running his tesla gun while standing
on top of a DC high voltage platform. The arc might draw a considerable DC current
from the platform, so this is highly dangerous. Interesting it would be, nevertheless.

Udo