Re: [TCML] Amplified CT?

Hi Adam,

The use of cascaded current transformers is actually pretty common practice especially in the amateur world where most experimenters an DIYers do not have access to a commercial winding machine, but I've seen quite a bit of it with high voltage / high current power supplies in the commercial side of things as well.

Steve was probably the first one to use them in the Tesla community being as he was the first one to really push the envelope with designing high power DRSSTCs that utilized high peak primary currents and it like most amateurs, it likely came down to a practicality issue.  It is easier to wind a single core with 1000 turns of wire, or two cores cascaded together with only 31-32 turns each?  I'm sure no amateur in their right mind would want to wind a core with 1000 turns of wire.  Of course, as Steve pointed out, there are trade-offs vs. the two, but for this particular application, cascaded cores works just fine.

If I may ask, what type of cores are you using Adam?  If you need some cores, I can send you some of these large 5000-1 cores we have in stock.  We also have complete current transformer assemblies we could send you if you need some for your project.  Contact me offlist.

Dan
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com