Re: [TCML] Tesla coils on Toyota Avalon commercial

> >> Just wondering if anyone else had noticed the new Toyota Avalon
> >> commercial that depicts the effect of twin Tesla coil looking
> >> devices "creating" the advertised automobile with their
>>> electrical spark discharges?

> >   Thusly?

> There's certainly some element of CGI in there. They'd NEVER let
> sparks touch the "hero car".  But it's entirely possible they had
> a stand in car in place (painted green) and shot that as one piece,
> then substituted in the shot of the hero car.

     There is precedent.  We've all seen the pic of Tesla
     reading in a chair, surrounded by discharge of his
     Colorado Springs coil.  When originally published,
     his friends back east were worried, wrote him to stop
     taking chances.  He wrote back (roughly):

        Not to worry.  First I photographed some discharges,
        by their own light, then myself, seated, illuminated
        by photographic flash powder only...

     (The letter was included in one of the published
      editions of Colorado Springs Notes...)

      best
       dwp