Re: [TCML] picture tube capacitor?

I checked a few TV CRTs several years ago and they were in the range of 1000 pF, about the equivalent of two 500pF, 30kV doorknobs. The grey aquadag coating on the outside is the ground and the anode connector is the inside. It would probably be easiest to connect to it using a proper conductor, since it has a rubber suction cup-like feature that keeps sparks from sliding across the glass to the aquadag. It would probably work better with the vacuum to avoid sliding sparks elsewhere.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Co60bishop
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:33 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] picture tube capacitor?

Yes, the metal strap that wraps around the front of the picture tube is the outside plate of the capacitor. There is a metalic coating on the outside of the picture tube that contacts the strap which is connected to ground inside your TV set. With voltages approching as high as 35KV applied to the CRT it should make a very reliable capacitor. The question is what is the capacitance of the tube. Check the capacitance to see if it is in the range you need for your design.

Allen Bishop
Principle Device Physics Tech
Aeroflex