[TCML] Faraday Cage Safety

Hi Everyone,

I am almost finished creating a small (2.5" diameter x 12" height, 7.5kv/60ma) Tesla coil for display in an office setting. However, I know I need to operate the coil inside of a Faraday cage to protect sensitive electronics that are around the office as well as from any over-curious observers.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight constructing a permanent Faraday cage that is both safe and aesthetically pleasing? I am curious to know if anyone has tried using a birdcage or similar already existing material successfully and with safe results. The dimensions would be 16" x 16" x  24", and I have thought of using wire mesh, but I would like to make it look as good as possible.

Also, I was wondering if the Faraday cage needs to only surround the primary and secondary, or if it must surround everything including the spark gap and transformer? This would alter my cage dimensions. From previous posts, I've confirmed that a bottom and top are necessary as well.

I wanted to double check to make sure I understand any special grounding procedures. From my understanding, the coil is grounded to the cage and the cage is grounded to the NST ground.

Thank you so much for your help and any advice.

All the best,

Amir Mojarradi
Los Angeles, CA