Re: [TCML] 5.25" SRSG tesla coil suggestions on improving performance

JJ,

Cangrats on getting the noted increase in your coil's performance. It is always truly exciting to watch your
sparks grow with additional "tweaks" to your system ;^)

From looking at your setup, a couple of things come to mind. First of all, I see that you are dealing with the
same issue that most coilers who are always striving for ever bigger sparks have to contend with - you are
rapidly running out of adequate space! Pretty much any spark output in excess of 4 to 5 ft. is gonna serious-
ly start to challenge the easements of a typical home garage, especially with standard 8 ft. ceilings. I noticed
that the sparks are striking your Dracula hung bicycle fairly consistently and often continue from the bicycle
frame to the ceiling! Keep in mind those sparks are indeed HOT and can sometimes ignite combustible ma-
terials in which they come in contact with! Ask me how I know this! ;^o Also, your garage door opener
mechanism does not appear too much outside of the "strike zone", either. And yes, a spark hit to that box or
the metal track that's mounted to it can instantly fry the sensitive electronics inside. This is also something that
I've learned the "hard way". Not trying to be a wet blanket here, just trying to emphasize safety and hopefully
keep you from having to learn these things the hard way, too. ;^)

Finally, on a lighter note, did you ever gap your strike ring to prevent the shorted turn? I can't really tell from
the video image.

David Rieben