Re: [TCML] toroids instead of spheres - why?

On 8/21/13 2:34 PM, Electronic Battle wrote:
Hello all

many years ago someone provided a very useful reference which was a
document (either a paper or an excerpt from a book). I look to Antonio
De Queiroz or Bert Hickman for starters but it may have been one of many
similar experts.

If I remember correctly, it explained that for a given breakdown
voltage, the dimensions required of a toroid to hold off that voltage
meant it presented a smaller capacitive load than a sphere of equivalent
hold-off (breakdown) voltage.

I can't find the reference and I have failed to locate it in the
archives, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

It might be a simple argument on surface area and radius of curvature. The breakdown voltage is related to radius of curvature, and a toroid of diameter X has smaller radius of curvature than a sphere of diameter X.

The sphere also has more surface area than the toroid, so for a given diameter, it will have more capacitance.

A sphere it can hold more charge before it breaks down (e.g. the limit is when the field at the surface exceeds the breakdown field for air).