Re: [TCML] toroids instead of spheres - why?

Hi Jason
     If you are getting a dozen or so breakouts with a breakout point your
top load is WAY to small.  Use this formula to size a toroid (figured out
by John Freu) Topload diameter in inches = (0.5 through 0.9)*(SQRT power in
watts).  Since toroid capacitance in pF is very nearly equivalent to
diameter in inches of a toroid, you could use that formula to find pF, and
calculate sphere size also (you would find the sphere would need to be too
large to be practical).  I like to use closer to 0.9 as opposed to 0.5, as
that tends to give only one spark.  You should see a substantial
performance improvement after you retune for a larger top load.  Also, I've
found a good breakout point to be a piece of foil bent into a loop and
stuck to the surface, I think I picked that trick up from Ed Wingate's
awesome magnifier when I went to one of his teslathons a few years back.
 Anyway, best of luck!

Scott Bogard.