RE: [TCML] Suspect component

Solid state will always be the dream, but currently, funds are limited.
The "end game" (as you call it) is to be a power supply that will be
of the adjustable variety... possibly power small SG tesla coil, and with
the turn of a switch or two, get a small jacob's ladder going.
(of course, ballast will be bypassable)