Re: [TCML] "Integrated" charging choke and transformer?

On 3/3/13 9:33 AM, vatercox@xxxxxxx wrote:

Dear List
Having read numerous mails on the List regarding charging chokes in DC- fed TCs and also the German website of Thomas Rapp http://www.rapp-instruments.de/tesla-coils/Trigatron/trigatron.htm with regard to a TC that uses a Trigatron in place of  a spark gap I am wondering whether the function of transformer and charging choke can be integrated in one component. Rapp uses an ignition coil as a charging choke in his TC. Ignition coils -and also TV flybacks- would appear to have significant self-inductance in addition to mutual inductance -could this not be utilised to good effect e.g lower cost and fewer parts to go wrong?

You'll note that there's the diodes and capacitors (220nF) between the transformer and charging choke. I think that's the issue.

Interesting idea about using a ignition coil as a charging choke. Yes, lots of inductance there, but also a lot of resistance, and not very big wire. I don't know if it can carry the average current for anything more than a very small coil.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/igncoil.htm has some data measured by TCML member Bob Wroblewski.

Lsec is about 31H, Rsec(dc) is 7.2k. 80.5k at 120 Hz (which is probably the vector sum of the Rdc and the X, although I calculate X as 23k at 120Hz)