[TCML] Re: Re: "Integrated" transformer and charging choke?

Jim:-

You'll note that there's the diodes and capacitors (220nF) between the  transformer and charging choke.  I think that's the issue.

> I note your point however in their intended purpose (ie car ignitions) - ignition coils are wired as "autotransformers" with  primary and secondary windings connected together -so a direct link exists between the battery +ve and the HV output terminal. Also they driven by dc pulses, rather than ac. So with a rectifier (also serving as de-Qing diode) connected between the HV output and the TC tank capacitor don't we have a further economy?

Interesting idea about using a ignition coil as a charging choke.  Yes,  lots of inductance there, but also a lot of resistance, and not very big  wire.  I don't know if it can carry the average current for anything  more than a very small coil.

> I understand your  concerns over deficiencies of car ignition coils but how about using MOTS here -albeit in an energy -storing "flyback" mode  rather than a conventional AC transformer,  driven by a dc switching device and with primary and secondary windings connected together in  "autotransformer" configuration for maximum self-inductance? A sort of "heavy duty ignition coil" if you like.  I would  imagine one of these deivices have less resistance and plenty of self-inductance to work with -due in part to the magnetic shunts.

JF Vater Cox