Re: [TCML] Quick and Cheap Toroid

Hi Brandon.
     For sizing a top load the critical thing to consider is power input
levels, namely the size of the top load in pF is related to the input
watts.  The rule of thumb we have found (and I believe it was John Freu who
came up with this) is diameter in inches was between .5 and .9 times SQRT
input watts.  I also found for a typical toriod the pF is pretty darn near
equal to overall diameer in inches.  So for a 15/30, you want a top load
between about 15 and 21 inches.  My advice though, if you are getting away
with bigger, stick with it.  Really the top load should just about always
dwarf your secondary, in general we in the TC community always make our
secondaries way bigger than they need to be, in my humble opinion...  After
all, what is more impressive, a huge machine making 6 foot sparks, or a
hand held one making 6 foot sparks?

Scott Bogard.