Re: [TCML] Treating RF feedback

Hi Jim,

Excellent information you gave, definitely archiving those messages. My
counterpoise is 6x6' if I remember correctly. Coil isn't very tall, about
three feet.
I have a terry filter on my nst, would that help filter out some of the
noise?

Thank you much,
Brandon H.

On Mar 17, 2013 3:35 PM, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/17/13 1:45 PM, Brandon Hendershot wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> With the renovation of my coil nearly complete, I'll need to address the
>> old issue of electrical appliances going haywire whenever I run my coil.
>> At the time I didn't have a proper RF ground, only a counterpoise.
>

> How big is your counterpoise?  It should be more than sufficient.
> you don't need a "ground rod into the soil" for an RF ground..(after all,
people run coils in buildings on not the ground floor)

> On
>>
>> separate occasions, I'd have the jacuzzi tub turning on or the sprinkler
>> system switching the sprinkler heads like pinball paddles. My hunch was
RF
>> interference which the list seemed to support.
>

> yes, but most likely coupled back through your AC powerline..  Filtering
of the powerline is critical.

> So is making sure you don't have a "receiver loop" in the victim circuit
(sprinkler systems and garagedoor openers are notoriously bad, because
they've got wires running all over the place, and aren't particularly RFI
insensitive)

>> I'm currently attempting to install a 10' ground rod but that's proving
>> difficult with my dry rocky soil. Since my deadline is fast approaching I
>> may need to rely on the counterpoise once again and I want to make sure I
>> don't go fizzling all the fancy electronics we've acquired in the past
>> years since I retired my coil.
>

> I wouldn't bother with a ground rod.
>

>> On a separate topic, any bright ideas on getting a 3/4" copper pipe
backed
>> with city water pressure through a boulder?
>

> See above..
>
> Work on having a good grounding mesh right under your coil and making
sure that anything that sparks reach out and touch is connected to that
mesh, and that the mesh is connected to the bottom of the secondary.