RE: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Has anyone come up with a  good electrically triggered gap yet?  Maybe something that uses magnetic quenching?  If so, then you could sense the voltage across the cap, and then set a firing voltage.

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Lux
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:31 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

On 3/23/13 8:12 AM, Futuret wrote:
> contributes to longer sparks.  It is possible to achieve just as good
> results using a static gap, but it has to be a triggered static gap.
> Interestingly, in my tests, the triggered gap was very loud and bright
> due to the wide gap spacing which had to be used to prevent premature
> firing.

  All this noise and light didn't noticeably reduce the spark length
> however, as I obtained the same spark length in both cases.

I think this makes sense.  The voltage drop (loss) across a gap is a combination of the 50-100V cathode drop and then the ohmic loss in the spark itself. For a reasonably high current arc, I'll bet the ohmic doesn't change all that much between, say, 3 and 10 mm.

On this basis, one would expect a single triggered gap with long path to be better than a multigap.

Somewhere back in the archives, I know this has been discussed..