From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Brandon Hendershot
Sent: 23 March 2013 03:51
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Hi All,

Now that I've finally gotten something out of my long overdue 3.5" coil,
I'm already itching to start work on the next.
I've decided to make the switch to a rotary spark gap and have settled on
synchronous over asynchronous for the sake of performance and security of
my NSTs.
I want to be sure I do this coil right and plan everything out before I buy
anything. Here are the parts and specs for what I know is going into the
new coil:
- 15/120 (4 x 15/30) NST Bank
- 7.25" x 26" Topload
- 0.25" x 0.25" Flat Primary Coil (Plenty long, should be enough regardless)
*- ~6" x 24" 25** AWG Secondary Coil (*subject to change(**especially so))

I've read that 120 BPS is just about the best you can get when you're using
NSTs, so I'm going to be building the rest around that. I haven't found a
motor yet, any specific RPM to look for? HP will vary since we don't know
what style we want yet.
I'm assuming not (you know what they say about that), but does the
capacitance of the MMC vary depending on the BPS? Since it's synchronous
with the AC waveform and firing at a single frequency I imagine not...
Rather, isn't the Input watts the only determining factor? Silly me. Next
question:
Does the BPS have any influence on what the resonant frequency of the
secondary coil should be? <This would be my primary concern.

One more quick irrelevant question, moving from a 15/30 to a 15/120, would
there need to be any modifications made to the Terry Filter?

Thanks a bunch,
Brandon H.