Re: [TCML] Designing a Coil Around a SRSG

Hi Again Brandon,
     Glad I could help!  Yes, that secondary should work fine, and yes
adding that second top load should be fine also.  SQRT of 1800= 42, so you
want between 21 and 38 inches of overall diameter, when considering
multiple toploads, if memory serves, you just sort of add the diameters, so
26+14=40.  A bit over-gunned, but it should work fairly stable with a
breakout point (if it doesn't, remove the second top load and re-tune the
primary.)  As for 240/480 etc BPS...  In theory this works great, and many
have claimed success using this, it is in fact very similar to the logic of
using a small cap and an async system.  I never could get it to work, but I
think I know why...  Firstly in those days I didn't understand power draw,
and my crappy ballast was holding me back, not my break rate and capacitor
combo, I didn't know this at the time.  Secondly I had severe trouble
because I didn't have a good phase controller, the black light/lego system
worked, but not well enough to determine phase for a system where stuff
lines up differently (at least for me.)  I didn't do the exact calcs, but I
think you should probably be Ok with the cap size you proposed, and a
normal 120 BPS for maximum output (may want to go higher and use a smaller
cap even.)  My advice is to go to the fantastic "Java TC," load the demo
coil (unless you are already a javaTC guru!) and plug in your cap values,
and transformer specs, and play with the rotary gap designer near the
bottom of the page.  Find the BPS level by trial and error that best gives
spark length as close to or higher than the "freau ideal" as possible, and
design around that.  If you are having trouble reaching that level, change
your cap configuration a little and see if you can hit it (also pay
attention to LTR values, chances are you want that.)  And like others said,
don't over volt your cap!  Java TC can help with that also, in the MMC
calculator it has, it really is a fantastic tool!  Best of luck, let us
know what you find!

Scott Bogard.