Re: [TCML] Variac

Tim

Goes without saying be careful, be extremely careful with that beast; it
can kill without provocation.  I have seen two 8.4kV PT phased and wired
240V primary and 16.8kV secondary burn up a pair of #12 feeding the primary
side, in about 5 seconds!  MUST be ballasted either with inductive or
combination RL ballasting on primary side.  A novel
twist would be capacitive ballasting on the HV side, much tougher to get
parts but theoretically would work (similar to C ballasting of a MOT).

Regards

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA USA