[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Disc Dia. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Disc Dia.

Tim,
I have never used a motor that small, but I suppose a small disc may have
some advantages in your case, as the smaller the swing radius of the
electrodes from the shaft the easier the motor will find it to rotate. (mine
is 10 inch on a 2HP - playing safe after troubles in the past)
Different power levels will require slightly different phase settings, so
best to have some adjustment. I always get the disc positioned initially
during the build stage, by using an infra-red sensor and put a duel channel
scope on the output, mains freq on one trace, sensor on the other. I then
move the disc so that the revolving electrodes initially break the beam just
before the mains peak ***. Then once it's set in this initial position I fix
the motor and use the Fraeu controller circuit to fine tune during runs.
John's circuit allows precise positioning then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drqmBnwETAU

***  Setting up to break the beam as the initial starting position just
before the mains peak, is fine for 200bps BUT may not be suited for your own
respective bps rate - whatever that is. (I use Pspice to determine the
optimum point for a particular bps rate beforehand) With a 200bps the
eventual optimum position is actually after the mains peak (around 5 to 10mS
or so, roughly, and will be dependent on cap size and charging current) I
then use John's circuit to move it to optimum during the run.

Phil,