[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] SRSS anyone? Anymore?... [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] SRSS anyone? Anymore?...

Hi Ken,

I think Single Resonance SSTC is still a viable option for big sparks, but
a very important consideration is the secondary "impedance".  Lowering the
secondary impedance will raise the system power capability (when faced with
a plasma load), which many folks find counter-intuitive.  Yes, dropping
Lsec and raising Csec will both help deliver more power to those sparks,
assuming a constant coupling and primary inductance and drive voltage.
 Simulations suggest that going to Csec of hundreds of pF (much bigger than
any toroid might provide) can make a *very* powerful SSTC, provided you can
drive it.  The reason this works is because the secondary "loaded Q" is
increased, so the result is more voltage gain, because there is simply more
energy stored in the secondary.  This effect will not make sense in
simulation unless you include some sort of spark load (series R and C to
ground).

I'll be interested to see the results of your setup, its got a nice big
toroid so that should help.

Steve