[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC Coil progress.

I've been a welder for years, and can tell you first hand zinc poisoning
sucks like the flu, but in quantities found in coatings it is not acutely
toxic. Really the same can be said for nickel and (gasp!) hexavalent
chromium. Chronic exposure is what gets you.

If you want to worry about acutely toxic fumes emanating from your spark
gap worry about NO2. That turns into HNO3 in your lungs and this can cause
serious permanent damage from acute exposure. O3 is no joke either, though
it is mostly coming from the corona discharge. Industrial manufacture of
HNO3 has been very successfully carried out by actually combining NO2 and
O3, since O3 is a super powerful oxidizer.

Bottom line is that you need good ventilation, regardless of what kind of
electrodes you are using. None of the stuff will kill you in relatively
small doses but you really don't want to suffer from the chronic effects of
inhaling any of your Tesla coil's byproducts for extended periods.

Good luck and have fun,

- Jason