[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Unusual dielectric media

Dielectric constant (permittivity, epsilon) doesn't correlate well with dielectric breakdown strength.  Consider salt water which has epsilon close to 80

What you want is high breakdown, non flammable, not hygroscopic, not forming tiny droplets of water, etc.

Epsilon doesn't have much effect, although high epsilon actually increases the volts/meter field, and increases the energy stored per unit volume, which often increases the chance of breakdown