[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] Large coil in New York area for video shoot? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

On 11/27/13 10:28 AM, pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> High frame rates of micro second spark event don't work well in my
> experience. I have found that frame rates of 120 fps from a RED Epic
> result in chopping up of the spark image.
> Can't help with the coil from here in Australia though.
>
> Peter Terren
> tesladownunder.com

120 fps is pretty slow. With a fast shutter speed, I'd expect sparks to
look weird.  You'd get just a part of the spark, and if the camera isn't
syncd to the coil's spark gap, it could look very strange.

If you saw this in Australia, where the line frequency is 50Hz and the
camera were 120 fps, then there's likely to be a weird stroboscopic
effect as the camera shutter rate "beats" against the TC's spark rate.
(unless it's a DC coil).

but at 1000 fps or more, you should be able to see soark growth.