[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] srsg with a vfd [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] srsg with a vfd

vfd means Variable Frequency Drive

It will never be in sync with the line voltage, it will be rotating relative
to the output frequency.

A vfd will take your incoming single-phase line, rectify it and spit it out
as a three-phase stepped sine wave. These have an incredible advantage in
machinery as you get solid torque from very low RPMs up to the rated motor
speed. All other methods of regulating a motor's speed will result in poor
torque performance at low RPMs.

If you want to price check, I really like these people: Automation Direct

http://www.automationdirect.com

Here is their listing for a 1/4 horse vfd. The vfd is $99.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS1_(120_-z-_230
_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS1_Drive_Units_(120_-z-_230_VAC)/GS1-10P2

Here is their listing for an inverter duty (a must-have) 1/4 horse motor
with 1800 RPM max. The combo will drive at almost full torque down to 1.8
RPM. The motor is $148.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motors/AC_Motors_-_Gene
ral_Purpose_and_Inverter_Duty_(0.25_-_300HP)/AC_Motors_-_Inverter_Duty,_Mara
thon_(0.25_-_100HP)/Marathon_MicroMAX_(0.25HP_to_10HP)/Y500

The vfd I pointed to has voltage control of the frequency so you could
remotely dial in the RPMs of your gap.

Dave