[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Neon Sign Transformers-Recommendations. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Neon Sign Transformers-Recommendations.

Jon,

You may want to pull the cover on candidates for un-potting. Older France
Transformers are generally tar. It is quite a mess and a potential fire risk
if heating in an old gas BBQ for instance. Don't let it get too hot. I have
done a few and knocked out about half of the limiting shunts and was
pleasantly surprised. Mineral oil, melted Petroleum jelly, or melted wax
poured over in a suitable plastic container will suppress corona and arc
over. If a horn is broke off you can fix them often too.

Some people swear by freezing them and cracking them open.

All this may be for not if you don't look into a Terry Filter to protect
your new treasures. Try here: http://www.hvtesla.com/terry.html

Pretty easy to make and I mounted mine on right on top of my dual 15KV60ma
(120ma) Transco transformers with standoffs. These are epoxy BTW but seem
very robust. I drive an 8"(20.32cm) coil and get up to 6 feet (1.82m) with
the two in parallel. What size coil are you building?

Cheers,
Jim Mora