From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Sharpe
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:10 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mail List
Subject: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference

Truly excellent reference for use when designing
medium or high voltage equipment or performing HV lab work,
from NIST.  This document was referenced in a recent
 EDN e-blog.  The great thing about this document is it
is succinct, brief (9 pages), specific, and to the point.

http://www.nist.gov/el/isd/mmc/upload/high_voltage_rules_revised.pdf

<One recommendation is the requirement of having "2"
 separate operations to turn on high voltage; this requires
at a minimum a Main Disconnect (Lockable Safety Switch)
and a start-stop push-button station with seal in contactor.
This requirement supports my contention you should never
"instant on" high voltage equipment.  YMMV, but I've seen
catastrophic, spectacular failures doing this.

<snip>