[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference

Jim

Actually is some regards it is "enforceable"
via National Electric Code.  My litmus test
is:
1.  Does it look "right" compared to HV high
power industrial equipment I have experience?
2.  Is there a one,  two, or three level failure chain
that could expose a bystander or unqualified
person to lethal voltages?
3. Are the clearances adequate based on 2X nominal maximum
   voltages?
4.  Is the over current protective devices adequate to interrupting
worst case currents in the event of a fault and your CB fails to
trip?
There are many other considerations, but redundant circuits,
over current protection (and backup in case one level failure
occurs), and adequate clearances are carefully considered.
As an industrial reference, the Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission (FERC) required TWO independent, parallel
generator protection relays on power producers, and
 furthermore they must be from different manufacturers
with different algorithms.  Both have to agree to allow
unit to run, but EITHER can independently trip the
lockout 86G relay to the grid.

But absolutely top on list is proper grounding and bonding
using UL listed components operated within their stated
capacities.  Bad, improper, or incomplete grounding has
killed many folks and blown a he$$uva lot  of equipment
up.

Bottom line:  You should never be cavalier working around
power. And especially high voltage power.  There is no
second chance.

--
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA USA