[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Thought on top load connection [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Thought on top load connection

I would like to minimize/reduce strikes to my primary by raising my toroid. I've been thinking of an approach and wanted to run it by the group.

I would like to raise the height of my toroid approx 6 or 9 or 12 inches or so above the secondary to provide better standoff from the primary. To add back e-field shielding of the top of the secondary and not introduce eddy losses or excessive additional inductance, I was considering winding a very wide spaced coil ,say 1/4 to 1/2 inch space wound for the length needed to place on top of the secondary. The thinking being that this would raise the height of the toroid as needed, minimize res freq change and minimize eddy losses with the top load ( allowing magnetic field line to escape between the wide space coils). Basicly this would be a glorified helical connection to a raised top load. This "connection coil" would be the same diameter as the secondary (7 inches diameter). As a side note I have been looking at drawings of Tesla's Wardencliff design, and it begs the question how did he plan on eliminating breakout at the top edge of that secondary coil?

Anyway, Thanks Group