From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TCML] Whre are tesla coils used today?
Date: Sat, Feb 15, 2014 9:43 am

On 2/14/14 10:02 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Matthew, I once saw a mass spectrometer in which the worker told me
> had a tesla coil in its guts.

More likely a HV power supply, and if the mass spec is relatively new,
that HVPS is a switcher, but unlikely it's an air core transformer.  In commercial gear, efficiency is important, and that tends to push you to tight coupling, often with a core.

> I have also seen papers recently proposing the use of a sort of tesla
> coil circuit as a portion of a ns rise time EMP generator, as well as
> the use of a tesla coil power supply in a unrelated pulse forming
> network for other EMP related purposes. Which is of interest to me,
> being employed to develop EMP devices and perform EMP testing.

There are better ways to generate precisely formed HV and High current pulses for EMP testing.  A Marx generator for instance.

> They are certainly used for much more than monster shows and
> demonstrations. The issue, being that the "tesla coil" as we all
> build in our basements is sparsely used in the form we use them as.
> Ie producing huge sparks

Actually, a spark gap resonant transformer is pretty unusual in commercial equipment.  One fairly common application is as part of the HF arc starter/stabilizer on a TIG welder.

> What you should really be looking into is where is the pulsed
> resonant circuit effect as tesla discovered being utilized to
> generate higher voltages than could be created via normal transformer
> action or purely back emf. Do a little digging yourself and I believe
> you will be surprised at the number of technologies which employ
> these principles in the loose form of a tesla coil.

very loose..

Impulse transformers and similar things, some using resonance, have been around for a while.  Kettering ignition for gasoline engines, for instance.

But when you talk about loosely coupled air cored transformer with both sides resonant as a HV supply, there's not a huge number of applications.