[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Making a slide choke. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Making a slide choke.

Both of mine were bombarder chokes, both home-made, and simply used a hose clamp, which really couldn't be used on the fly, but were quickly loosened, and adjusted.

________________________________
 From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Making a slide choke.

Yes, the slide choke core will acquire the solenoid effect and with the level of power of medium to large sized SG driven Tesla coils, it's certainly not a force that one can manage with just "muscle power" :-)  I once had a manufactured slide choke that was made to accomidated a 30 kV, 250 mA bombarder transformer and there was absolutely NO physically holding the sliding core from being completely pulled into  the coil when energized! Of course the current throughput is minimal in this setup and current can only be incrementally increased by withdrawal of the core piece from the coil piece. The magnetic pull was just too strong to fight to try to slide the core piece out of the center of the coil. And the core had a nice handle built onto the end of it. I would also assume that the coil would also have to be very firmly secured fast to an unmovable surface to have any kind of manual control over the sliding core, which I never set up before selling
 it to another coiler, IIRC.