[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DRSSTC, driving system, and a strange problem.

>I didn't connect again the low-impedance primary, that is quite too much for my 20A
>mosfets. With the high-impedance primary and 30 cycles I see 50A with excitation at
>the lower pole and almost 100A with excitation at the upper pole. Breakout even
>without a point in both cases.

You're probably not at the limit of your fets at the lower pole yet. I think for
100us bursts you'd be safe up to a 100A for e.g. burst rates of 100Hz. Higher
currents will flow, if the primary is tuned a bit lower and driving freq adjusted
accordingly. Initially the coil efficiency will be low then, but as soon as the arc
gets bigger, efficiency will improve, i.e. you will have efficiency at the time you
need it.

The currents you measured are somewhat higher than I expected from the arc model.
The model has been adapted to measurements with a rather large breakout point. I'm
not sure how your measurements were made.

>How are you simulating streamer load?

The simulation is based on a discussion here:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2012/Oct/msg00125.html

and a refined version of the model here:

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?156391

The biggest problem I see with it, that it exaggerates the effect of capacitive
Currently I'm measuring arc voltages and currents with a bigger coil (7 foot arcs)
and am trying to get the model to also fit there.

Udo

P.S. Sorry about the late reply. I'm travelling.