[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Breakout point or no breakout point [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Breakout point or no breakout point

Jeremy,

Yes the breakout point may have been allowing you to run with tighter
than normal coupling.  Mostly likely raising the secondary will fix
the problem.  I prefer to run without a bo point because the sparks
generally "look" better, and can move around the toroid if the toroid
is smooth.  If there was any wind outside, that might
have been interfering with the streamers, but I'm not sure if that
would promote racing sparks.  You could try re-tuning the primary
too if you didn't do that.  Maybe the different environment outside
is affecting the tune-point.  You may need to tune outwards a little
with the primary tap.  If the primary is tuned too much inward that
can definitely cause racing sparks over a large portion of the
secondary.  I don't think adding a small extra toroid will help,
but I'm not sure.

Your secondary is quite large so I'm surprised you got racing sparks
at all, of course it could be quite over-coupled. With suitable coupling,
I don't think you'll get any racing sparks.  On my TT-42 coil,
when I installed a larger than normal 6" x 24" toroid, the sparks
were only able to break out intermittently without a bo point, but
there were no racing sparks even with no bo at all.  Yet my coupling
is not overly loose.  I know this because it was originally too tight and
got racing sparks even with a 4" x 13" toroid.  I had to loosen the
coupling enough to fix that.  But still there were no racing sparks
when I tried the coil with the larger 24" toroid, even when there was
no bo at all.  I was able to get longer sparks without the bo point
using the 24" sparks, but bo was intermittent.  Generally if the
spark breaks out easily without a bo point, then the sparks
will be no longer than with a bo point.

There's also the question of where your racing sparks appear.
If they appear near the middle or top of the secondary, this could
be a tuning issue.  But if they occur near the bottom of the
secondary, then it's most likely a coupling issue.

Sometimes spark gap quenching issues can cause racing sparks,
but I guess it's unlikely in your case since you're using the synch
rotary.  These types of racing sparks tend to occur all over the
secondary.

Happy New Year to all,
John