[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Geek Group HV Lab Fire [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Geek Group HV Lab Fire

> You can make a good secondary winder from an old ice cream freezer motor. It
> has more than enough torque to wind a 13" dia form, and probably would do a
> 20".  You just need a frame and a tailstock to support the other end.  I made
> the frame from some old Unistrut.
>
> Good luck to the Geek Group.  They rock.

I like working steppers, since they give me an easy way for absolute control.
All the parts are cut out of 3/4" plywood using the ShopBot at SYN Shop or 3D
printed.  My coil is a 4.5", so I'm using a pair of NEMA 17 stepper motors I
had in my parts box for the winder.  The motor itself doesn't have quite
enough torque to reliably turn the coil, so I 3D printed a pair of double
helix gears.

If (when) I were to scale it up larger than a 6" coil, I'd switch to a welded
box steel tubing.

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'