[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Pole pig coil. [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Pole pig coil.

Hi Caleb,

Although a single-bushing pig is less desirable for coil firing than a double-bushing unit, it will still definitely work. The main reason for undesirability of use for single-bushing units is the difficulty of isolation of RF ground from mains ground. One could possibly open up the transformer and remove the ground tap from tank case and reconnect it to the center low voltage bushing (assuming the external ground strap from this terminal to the tank case ground has been removed as well), thus using the center LV bushing as the HV return. Many respected list members will tell you that you should not tie lower RF ground of the secondary coil (Tesla coil itself) with the inner primary coil, but this method does indeed work well for me. As a matter of fact, my coil develops a lot of annoying internal flashovers in my control panel circuitry if I do NOT interconnect my Tesla primary and secondary coils to a common RF ground. That's just my personal experience and YMMV.

David