[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Geek Group HV Fire [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Geek Group HV Fire

Hey Geek Group - Here's a must-do experiment for you...
http://gizmodo.com/scientists-observe-ball-lightning-in-nature-for-the-fir-1504306477

Ball lightning has been observed in nature and the spectrometer showed
there was silicon, iron, and calcium present. Most ink toners have powdered
iron; and Cabosil is powdered silica. I can think of half a dozen salts as
a source of calcium; who knows if it has to be pure?

Toss a handful of the dust mixture (not by hand of course) into a high
current discharge and it might make ball lightning. Perhaps a high voltage
discharge would work, too, but I would place my bet on high current. I have
the powders, but it has been a long time since I had the coils running.
After reading about what ball lightning can do, I'm not sure it is
something I want to try indoors, anyway. But since you have a fire
department that knows where you live now, maybe you guys could give it a
try? :-)

Dave Thomson