[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] DRSSTC w/ long bursts and large Lpri [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] DRSSTC w/ long bursts and large Lpri

This is in reference to a comment Udo made recently on a DRSSTC thread, but I didn’t want to clutter up the other thread with a reply OT to the main discussion. Rather than sending this in private I thought the entire list may benefit from seeing it.

[quote: Udo Lenz]

My idea of a "perfect DRSSTC" would be one using a large primary inductance, which
could store a lot of energy for a given max primary current and a corresponding long burst
time to charge it up. That would reduce stress on the transistors. Most of this is
unexplored territory.

[quote]

While it is largely unexplored there has been some recent very promising attempts from our Russian friends, namely Zilipoper on 4HV. The full thread can be found here: http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?160457

Video links of the coil in operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obt3yRiuvEs

It seems that this kind of approach requires a MMC similar to that of the classic SGTC, where extremely high voltage tolerance is required. The designer of this coil has been blowing MMC caps with almost every run.

-Sig